Perfect for budding Mountaineers, this course complements the skills already developed in your DofE Expedition sections, taking your mountain knowledge up to a highly competent standard. Exercises include learning security on steep slopes, how to get the best out of a rope, learning how to make harnesses, how to set up secure anchors and be able to utilise the rope in a variety of ways. We will also introduce other Mountain Skills and develop your rope work throughout. Come and experience a range of classic Peak District locations, giving you ample opportunity to test your learning. Our experienced leaders will also deliver important underpinning Mountain theory to compliment the practical skills, embedding understanding and a broad confidence for your outdoor future. This course also includes a Festive Meal as it is over the days just before Christmas.
The Mountain Skills Course will further develop the Participant for their future exposures in the hills, mountains or on the rock face. This course will cover Practical points including:
- Mountain Safety rules
- SURVIVAL acronym and adverse condition coping strategies
- Bouldering and basic climbing techniques
- Group leadership and dynamics
- Security on steep slopes
- Ice axe carriage and uses
- Rope-work and roping up
- Knots, knots and more knots, getting the best out of a rope!
- Winter Hazards and identification of risk
- Outdoor and remote scenarios to empower and prepare you for the unexpected.